Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Decisions, decisions...

Ever have those fantastic shoe shopping days where every shoe is cute AND fits AND you find exactly what your looking for? Yeah...boob "shopping" is so not the same. Black pumps, strappy sandals, and platform heals versus tug flap, expanders, and implants - where do I start? Do I pick something for comfort or something that looks good with the new summer dress I have? Something that'll last, but looks a bit harsh or something that I may need to replace after a few miles? Oh the decisions...and they're all mine! Thankfully I have all weekend to think about it!! ;)

The plastic surgeon I met with was very nice and had a fun personality, so at least I feel confident in that! My dad came with me to the appointment today, as he does with every appointment. Needless to say, if there was one he should have missed, it was probably this one...nothing like feeling implants with you dad and deciding which ones would feel more real. But it is always nice to have his support (no bra pun intended)!

So...decisions. Plastic surgeon said she can do an implant, which would be easier to heal from. If I go this route, I can do saline or silicone. Silicone must be replaced every 10 years, while saline, you can let go until it ruptures, but will eventually have to go in for a refill. She said they would look nice, but require some maintenance and more surgery. She said if I wanted to go bigger than my A (yes A) cup, she would have to put in expanders. If I was looking for something more permanent, then I could go the tug flap route where they take tissue and muscle from my thigh. So I'll have some scarring, but the boobs will look real, I'll be able to sleep on them and they'll be maintenance free, but it requires a lot more work up front. I won't even get into nipple sparing versus removing all of it, since that will be a decision for my breast cancer surgeon (not to be confused with my plastic surgeon). There was a ton of information, and to be honest, I think I am still digesting it.

The plastic surgeon did guarantee me that I wouldn't be a very happy person for the first month, with the first week being the worst of it. Thankfully, my pectoral muscle will have it's own little "Dr. Conrad" built right in, giving it local anesthetic whenever she gets sore!! So that's that for right now...I meet with Dr. Conner (my breast cancer surgeon) on Monday and will hopefully have an answer for both of them by that time. Instead of reading and thinking this evening, I had mexican food with my dad, mowed my lawn, and took a nap...not too productive, but you all know how I love to procrastinate!

2 comments:

  1. Mowing the lawn sounds pretty productive to me! And yikes, that's a lot of boobformation to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea that there were so many boob options! Yikes... good luck with your decision. My choice for you would be the option that gets you running and climbing with us again quickest! :)

    ReplyDelete