Thursday afternoon my dad and I met with the surgeon. She really reiterated what she said last week stating that she really believes all the cancer is out and that I have clean margins, but since she has a very small doubt, she would recommend the mastectomy. She said my last path report showed focal atypical lobular and ductal hyperplasia, which is just an increased risk factor for cancer. She said since I already had both of those cancers, it worries her since hyperplasia is field-wide (meaning other breast as well). She said she would support me in whatever I decided, she just said it is difficult to track recurrence in irradiated lumpectomy areas. She said she'd let me think about it for a month since we wouldn't be able to do the surgery until after chemo anyway. This is my biggest decision right now and the one I'm back and forth on the most. I would prefer (obviously) to not have one, but at the same time would hate to have this pop up again in 5-10 years. Decision #2: undecided.
Finally on Friday my dad and I met with the oncologist. No change there, still doing chemo! I was still torn between TC and CMF, the doc said he would probably prefer TC, but the choice was mine. He said he would bring the question to the next oncology board to see what others thought. I said I didn't really care about the side effects (i.e. losing hair) but I just wanted the one that was most effective. Since I don't plan on going the egg-saving route, I can start chemo after next week. Decision #3: to be determined.
So I guess that's that for updates! Looks like I am making some forward progress so that's nice-like the post title, I may slip from time to time, but I keep on rising! Let me know if you have any questions! XOXO