Saturday, February 12, 2011

One down, three to go...

Flowers from Hollie!
Flowers from Sam!
Well, the morning started off just as expected, the parents came up, I had my blood taken and an IV started, then we went and tried on some wigs (just to get a feel) at the boutique in the cancer center. After meeting with my oncologist to cover any further questions, I headed upstairs for my first round of chemo. I was a bit low on potassium, so they loaded me up with a couple of potassium horse pills-they said if I could find a way to make a smaller one, I'd be rich, so will be researching that I think! When we finally began, it was quite simple, I got very tired and felt bad for my visitors that came and left. Travis at least got to go eat lunch with my dad, my poor mom just sat in this uncomfortable chair and watched me sleep. Hollie came by at the end of my treatment and brought me the cutest flowers, again...I was completely out of it! So gracious of them to stop by and I was horrible company! After we wrapped up and went home Sam and Kari came by-flowers, books, angels, too many gifts that I had not deserved. I know I say this over and over again, but each day I am shocked at the graciousness of my family and friends. I don't know where you learn this selfless giving, I don't think I have it yet, but am learning each day from the ones I love.

This morning I felt great, went for a nice, easy run! I went in for a quick shot after that to keep my white blood cell count high, then my parents took me for breakfast! Food isn't agreeing as well as I'd like, but I can eat small amounts easily, just not a lot in one sitting. I thought I'd make it the entire day without a nap, but fell asleep for about two hours-oh well, I'll blame the chemo and not the fact that I am trying to avoid homework!!

Flowers from my wonderful Chi-town Greek family!
Just one more thank you to all the emails, messages, calls, texts... thank you all, you do too much for me! Love you all! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Kelly- You don't give yourself enough credit. When times were really tough for the Carlson's I believe you were here! I pray for you all the dang time. Pray for strength, health, courage, humor and peace! I love you!!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey..

    Wish I was writing under better circumstances, but hey...you and I alway's had our off times, what's one more! ; ) xoxo After reading this blog and realizing what it is that you are going through, I have to say, you are one of the strongest people I have ever met! You never gave yourself enough credit when I knew you. You truly are an inspiration to sooo many women out there, ones that have gone through it and ones that know of someone who has. Me in particular. Never lose that smile and positive attitude, you are right, "attitude is everything." :)

    Keep up that fight and just like every race that you have run, you will cross this finish line too! I admit when I first found out you were diagnosed I cried. I then thought about the time that we gave Beans a bath and she ran into the house to only soak your couch. You have a great spirit now and you had one then, no tears needed. I will check in on the blog from time to time to see how you are doing. Chris and I will be thinking of you. He even asked if he can send you some of his famous meatloaf instead of flowers or a card...he knows how you like food. ; )

    Love
    Vanessa, Chris & Beaner

    ReplyDelete