Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mediocrity Rules!!

me·di·o·cre  adj  mē-dē-ˈō-kər\: Of moderate Quality, Ordinary, So-so

Have you ever heard of the mediocrity award? Most likely, if you know me, you've never had the chance to run for it...each year it goes to me, I alone am the definition of mediocre. It's not necessarily a bad thing-it's just not always good...like my current test results! I got the DX Onco-type testing back from tumor number one (Remember...tumor number two hopefully comes out tomorrow). The result was 20...what does this mean you ask?  Well, it means intermediate. DX Onco is testing the rate of recurrence that the cancer might have. A low number and chemo is not needed, a high number and chemo is definitely needed, middle...eh...depends. I am, as you assumed, in the middle. So today I met with the oncologist, of course my dad and good friend Travis were by my side. The doc said that due to my intermediate number and my age, that he would recommend chemo. He said the only way he would not have recommended chemo was if my number was in the single digits or if I was over 50...here's that catch 22 thing again, my age and health are GREAT! Meaning I will come out of this just fine...but also meaning I may have to be a bit more aggressive since I have SO MANY years left!! So next steps for me:
     1. Surgery tomorrow to remove the ductal carcinoma (we're hoping).
     2. Begin Chemo treatments - two options - 3-month treatment or 6-month treatment; think I may    
         choose the shorter one due to the active ingredients of the drug (lower chance of leukemia after 10 
         years).
     3. Radiation treatment after chemo.
     4. Tamoxifin anti-hormonal drug for 5 - 10 years. 
         **All of the above drops my recurrence rate from 35% to 15%!

                                             Outcome = better than ever! 



The only thing I am a bit concerned about now is Boston. I was hoping to get a nice 3:20 during the marathon, but may have to scale down a bit...that's all right though, I'm not worried, I'm just going there to finish and eat clam chowder. 

Until next time...XOXO 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you are totally mediocre. And boring to boot. Because boring, mediocre people run Boston all the time.

    Best wishes today. I'll be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, I cannot accept this. I am not friends with mediocre people. And I have every intention of enjoying a bowl of clam chowder with you in Boston. If you REALLY want to slow down, you can run with my Dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not friends with mediocre people...what about Sam?? Hahaha, just kidding! Really, I just enjoy the word mediocrity, no idea why...maybe I can get a trophy for it! Hey Sam, do you know how to get those underlined words out...I didn't hyperlink them...crazy blogs! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete