Saturday, January 22, 2011

Where's Ductal??

Life is full of decisions, you meet a fork in the road and you have to go left or right, once you take one route, the other route is no longer an option...no u-turns allowed.

Got a call from the doc yesterday, the elusive ductal is nowhere to be found. She said she was going back to pathology, to my original lumpectomy sections to see if she could cut the slides smaller and find it (mind you there are approximately 400 sections). Doc said that if she couldn't find it, her recommendation is a mastectomy. She said the other option is to follow me closely but that with my age and the rate of recurrence, she would not recommend this route. So the question now is do I do this, or just get followed very closely and maybe hope it was taken out in that first lumpectomy?? Could the ductal tumor just have been so small that we missed it? Is it best that we got the bigger, lobular out and have clear margins? Too many questions to think about right now I suppose. I have no answers right now, but can tell you that I go in to see the surgeon again on Thursday to discuss my options for surgery, then go see the oncologist on Friday to decide which chemo route I'd like to take...life is full of decisions...u-turns may not be allowed, but yielding sure is, so right now I think I'll cuddle up on the couch next to my mom with a relaxing glass of wine and enjoy the b-ball game and the delicious steak my dad makes later!

3 comments:

  1. Well what ever the choice is just remember you are a strong woman and can get through anything. You need a shoulder to cry on I am here, need someone to laugh with I am here and if you need something to hit, well...Jeremy is here haha:) We are all here for you no matter what. If I could be as half as strong as you I would be so lucky. I love you big sis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha..thanks sis! I will remember the "hitting" part! We're both strong...stronger when we have each other! Love you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so strong and so amazing. This to shall pass my cousin! Amazing how life has no promises...except that you are deeply loved and adored! -Kristi

    ReplyDelete